Make the paragraph the unit of composition: one paragraph to each topic.不同的段落构成文章，每个段落仅传递一个观点。
2. As a rule, begin each paragraph with a topic sentence; end it in conformity with the beginning.
A. the topic sentence comes at or near the beginning;主题句前置
B. the succeeding sentences explain or establish or develop the statement made in the topic sentence;
C. the final sentence either emphasizes the thought of the topic sentence or states some important consequence.末尾句或对主题句进行强调，或阐述主题句带来的结果。
3. Use the active voice.主动句永远比被动句直接有力。
Eg: There were a great number of dead leaves lying on the ground = Dead leaves covered the ground. （清晰主动）Eg: The reason that he left college was that his health became impaired. = Failing health compelled him to leave college. （简洁有力）Eg: It was not long before he was very sorry that he had said what he had. = He soon repented his words.
4. Put statements in positive form.以肯定的形式表达否定的意思, 避免使用平淡、毫无色彩，犹豫不决和含糊其辞的语言。
Eg：He was not very often on time. = He usually came late. Eg: He did not think that studying Latin was much use. = He thought the study of Latin useless. Eg: The taming of the Shrew is rather weak in spots. Shakespeare does not portray Katharine as a very admirable character, nor does Bianca remain long in memory as an important character in Shakespeare’s works. = The women in The Taming of the Shrew are unattractive. Katharine is disagreeable, Bianca insignificant.
5. Omit needless words.删除冗词。
Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subjects only in outline, but that every word tell. 有力的写作一定简洁。Owing ?to the fact that =Since (because) ? In ?spite of the fact that =Though (although) ? Call ?your attention to the fact that =Remind you (notify you) ? The fact that he had not succeeded =His failure
6. Avoid a succession of loose sentences.寻找语言的逻辑关系，通过who, which, when, where, and while 这些词把句子串起来。
7. Express co-ordinate ideas in similar form.
Eg: Formerly, science was taught by the textbook method, while now the laboratory method is employed. Parallel structure: Formerly, science was taught by the textbook method; now it is taught by the laboratory method.
8. Keep related words together.词的位置决定词的关系，所以遵循‘物以类聚’，意思关联紧密的词放在一块。
Eg: Wordsworth, in the fifth book of The Excursion, gives a minute description of this church. Eg: In the fifth book of the Excursion, Wordsworth gives a minute description of this church. (状语前置，主谓毗邻)
Eg: There was a look in his eye that boded mischief. Eg: In his eye was a look that boded mischief. (名词look先行，关系词that紧随)
9. In summaries, keep to one tense.总结通常使用现在时态，如果使用过去时，请保持时态一致。
10. Place the emphatic words of a sentence at the end.欲擒故纵的圆周句（periodic sentence）中，强调信息后置。Eg: Four centuries ago, Christopher Columbus, one of the Italian mariners whom the decline of their own republics had put at the service of the world and of adventure, seeking for Spain a westward passage to the Indies as setoff against the achievements of Portuguese discoverers, lighted on America. Eg: With these hopes and in this belief I would urge you, laying aside all hindrance, thrusting away all private aims, to devote yourselves unswervingly and unflinchingly to the vigorous and successful prosecution of this war.